We traded our 2015 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD LTZ D/A Z71 CCSB for a 2019 Ram 3500 Longhorn HO/AISIN 4×4 CCLB DRW on 06/27/2019.
The Chevrolet was heavily modified and while we thoroughly enjoyed the truck, it was the epitome of throwing good money after bad. We should have bought a DRW (dual rear wheel) truck much sooner, instead of pursuing multiple phases of modifications.
Now that we’ve put tens of thousands of miles on the Ram, we can say without a doubt that it’s a lot better truck for our needs and is far more comfortable for long road trips – a combination of the infotainment, ergonomics, ride comfort, and overall confidence with a heavy camper or trailer.
We’ve been surprised with the maneuverability of it and any concerns we had about a DRW – which were many – have been quashed with experience driving it. As they say, “the more you drive one, the smaller they become”. We’ve taken it down a lot of narrow, unpaved roadways without issue, where other people in much smaller SUVs were refusing to attempt.
We’ve made several modifications to the Ram, including:
DS 72743PC 60gal aux tank/ toolbox combo w/ electric pump and 120AT filter/separator Fold-A-Cover G4 Elite CURT 60618 OEM Puck System Gooseneck Kit Torklift front and rear frame ties
- Viair 450P-RV permanently mounted for tankless onboard air
- Garmin Dash Cam 35
- 2kW AIMS Inverter
- Midland MXT275 radio w/ Comet CP-5NMO mount w/ MXTA10 antenna
- Titan 7030313 55 gallon midship replacement fuel tank (replaced RDS tank above)
- Air Lift 7500XL air bags with Air Lift 74000 air system
- Hellwig 7298 rear sway bar
- SuperSprings SSA24 rear springs
- SumoSprings SSF-302-40 helpers up front
- Ranch Hand Sport front bumper
- Smittybilt X2O 17.5K winch
- Custom Temco MFG flatbed w/ toolboxes
- Northstar 19.5×6.75 forged aluminum outer wheels
- Jantsa 19.5×6.75 steel inner and spare wheels
- Cooper Roadmaster RM253 245/70r19.5 LRH steer and spare tires
- Continental Terra HD3 245/70r19.5 LRH drive tires
- AlfaOBD and OBDLink EX for flatbed and TPMS delete, tire recalibration, etc